Find answers to some frequently asked questions about Lumen and Luxe below. Get information about candle care and why we use wooden wicks, soy and coconut wax and essential oil products info.
Haven’t found your answer? Get in touch!
All our products are made in Brisbane, Australia.
All our products are made by our small team in our Brisbane workshop. For behind the scenes deets + if you would like to get to know our team, follow our journey on social media @lumenandluxe.
We choose wooden wicks for all our candles not only because we love their crackle that reminds us of a warm, wood burning fireplace, but also because:
• Wooden wicks release fragrance better and faster: they throw up to 35% more heat into the wax compared with cotton wicks, while consuming the wax at the same rate.
• Wooden wicks burn more evenly: as they are wide based wicks, they are able to create large, even melt pools with a single wick.
• Wooden wicks don’t ‘mushroom’ the way cotton wicks do: this means minimal carbon build-up and minimal debris and sooting.
• Our wooden wicks come from responsibly managed forests, both environmentally and socially: they are naturally processed and sourced from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified mills in the USA – FSC certified forests are healthy, they benefit local communities as well as provide jobs for workers.
• Our wooden wicks are eco friendly and sustainable: they are made of 100% wood (no lead or zinc thank you), and for every $150 we spend on wooden wicks, a tree is planted by Trees.org.
We choose soy and coconut wax for all our candles because we want to make products beneficial to both people and the environment by choosing our ingredients for their natural and sustainable qualities:
• Our soy and coconut wax is sustainable and renewable, it is produced in a way that cares for our planet and it promotes growth, not depletion.
• Our soy and coconut wax is a 100% plant based, natural wax. It does not contain herbicides, pesticides, petroleum, animal, or insect products.
• Our soy and coconut wax is 100% vegan.
The larger the surface of the scented wax pool is, the larger the space your candle can scent. This is why we choose to make our glass range candles in three sizes which have different container diameter size.
• Our extra large candle is ideal for an open plan living space. It burns for up to 80 hours.
• Our large candle is great for a bedroom size space. It burns for up to 60 hours.
• Our medium candle is the perfect size for a small bedroom, powder room, or as a desk candle. It burns for up to 40 hours.
And our handmade concrete candles are great for very big, open spaces, they sit perfectly by the pool or on the back veranda!
• Your candle has a memory. When you burn your candle for the first time let the wax melt all the way to the edge. By doing this, your candle will burn evenly all the way down with no tunneling. Burn extra large candles for approximately two hours and large/medium candles for one.
• To ensure an even and smoke-free burn, trim your wooden wick to about 5mm each time before lighting. This helps reduce soot and smoke, ensuring a clean burn. When extinguishing your candle use a snuffer or blow gently until the flame is out.
• Do not burn your candle unattended and discontinue burning it when approximately 10mm of wax remains to prevent cracking.
• Keep away from children, curtains and pets.
• Always protect the surface on which the candle rests. Please take care when placing our concrete candles on furniture as they may damage delicate surfaces.
• Remember to keep your candles in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. As we don’t use artificial additives, our soy candles may sweat, melt, discolour or fade when they are exposed to intense light or heat for extended periods of time. These do not affect the quality of your candles in any way and they may be safely burned and enjoyed by you, your family and friends.
Our 100% natural, essential oils range includes:
• Candles: our Lemon Myrtle + Mandarin, Lavender Patch, Body + Birth, Zing!, and Peppermint candles
• Mists: our Knock Me Out pillow mist
• Rollers: our RELAX. and RELIEF. essential oils rollers